8.03.2011

My new coffee table

There is nothing wrong with my old one, but when I found this table for $10, I wanted the challenge of making it look better. If it didn’t work out, I only lost a few bucks and some time.

This took me a long time. Sheesh, I don’t know how you guys do it. But now I’m worried that the painting bug has hit and I’m wondering what I can paint next. LOL

It turned out fab!  My first time staining and it’s not perfect, but I don’t do perfect anyway ;)

coffee table makeover at JunkinJunky.blogspot.com
 coffee table makeover at JunkinJunky.blogspot.com


Stripped down

coffee table makeover at JunkinJunky.blogspot.com


I used American walnut for the stain on top, and RL Roadster White for the paint. I lightly sanded all of the edges and then applied 3 coats of wipe on poly. I don’t mind that the poly gives it a bit of amber as it adds to it’s aged appeal.

coffee table makeover at JunkinJunky.blogspot.com
Before
coffee table makeover at JunkinJunky.blogspot.com
 My inspiration for this update came from an Australian business, French Dressing. Same size and same shape, very similar to mine.
portland $995 Australian
Cough cough, it’s $995.00, equivalent to $1039.00 Canadian dollars! (1,097.21 USD)

I already had the primer, stain, paint and poly, so my cost … 10 bucks! 

Don’t forget to enter my giveaway.

I'm sharing this update here:

 {Primp}TT button BLUEChic on a Shoestring DecoratingDesigner GardenThe DIY Show Off

31 comments:

  1. What a great find! You did a fabulous job! Looks like it's straight off Pottery Barn's floor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in love! What a great table, perfect lines! I don't do perfect either ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love that, mel! the "x" base is sooo cool! and you did a great job painting it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like yours more than the inspiration. Very nice. I found you at the primitive and proper link party.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I Think your table looks much better than the expensive one! Thank you for sharing the transformation at the Open House party.
    xo,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this transformation! Your table looks incredible! Love that you only painted the base. It looks terrific! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks fabulous. You did an amazing job. I love it. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  8. wonderful job on this table. love the white with the stained top it really updates the table.
    lauren

    ReplyDelete
  9. Girl, it's dang close to perfect. It doesn't even look like the same table! Great job, as always, styling it too. Look out blogland...she's got the painting bug! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow!!! It looks fabulous!!! And $10....steal. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. seriously!? $10?! That is soo awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Simply wonderful -- L.O.V.E. it! Thanks for sharing your process. You're an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just stopping by from Primitive and Proper. I like yours with the x better. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a very interesting coffee table. Very Ballard Designs look. You did a beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! You just earn yourself a thousand dollar + fun time experimenting the painting process. You make me envy...now I start to hunt for old table!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great find! You did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I love this style of table! I just got a free one that I intend to refinish the same way but I like how yours has the X sides! I hope you will come share this at my VIP party today. http://designergarden.blogspot.com/2011/08/vip-party-22.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, so cool. I like it even more than the piece from French Dressing.

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your table and how you re-did it. I think it looks 1000 times better than the expensive one. What a great find.

    My best- Diane

    ReplyDelete
  20. hi again-

    I love what you did to this table so much I added it to the DIY Daily page on my blog. It is like a linky, but I just add things I like - kinda like my very on Pinterest :)

    My best- Diane

    ReplyDelete
  21. You did a fabulous job! That was a great find at $10.00 & you really made it look like something more.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You did a super great job. Don't you just love finding such a steal and turrning it into something so beautiful?
    I am a new follower, hope you stop by sometime =)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have to agree with Pam - After your great redux - your find looks like it would come straight off the PB store floor! And the best part - other than the savings - is that you did it YOURSELF! Congrats & be PROUD!! xo

    :D Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  24. Alright, you really need to open a store. You got mad skilz Mel! That is awesome! And that cloche......oh man I LOVE it! But I love that table more!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your "new coffee table" rocks! Thank you so much for linking up at Home Savvy today!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I LOVE LOVE LOVE how it turned out! Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  27. That table is gorgeous! How about I pay you $20 for it? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I had to step away, so I'm not sure if I already typed a comment and it's waiting approval. Oops! But wanted to say: You did an amazing job! I love the new look! Great vision and beautiful rescue! I'm sharing a link in tomorrow's highlights! Thanks so much for showing off in the DIY Project Parade! ;)

    Have a great weekend!
    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment love.

Be sure to check to see if you have an email associated with your log in id, otherwise I have no way of responding to your comment.