8.13.2011

Kitchen floor runner diy

My kitchen floor is above my garage and it gets quite cold in the winter, especially with porcelain tile. In preparation for the long, cold winter, I knew I needed a mat, but I wanted a long one and it couldn’t cost a small fortune.

I used a window blind made of seagrass or something like that. Perfect size and shape.

DSCN2317

DSCN2318

Since I already had everything, it cost me nothing but my time :)

I started by removing the wood that was used on the top and bottom, then turned the edges over and taped them. I laid out the pattern for the outside and inside rectangles first.

DSCN2228 Then I cut a trellis stencil out and filled in the center.

DSCN2313

Next I applied two coats of wipe on poly and that’s that.

I’m not sure how well it will hold up to kitchen messes, but I thought it was worth a shot. I like the way it looks and hopefully it will survive longer than a week :)  I’ll keep you posted.

I will be applying latex caulking to the back to see if that will prevent it from moving.

DSCN2317

Sharing at UndertheTableandDreaming

13 comments:

  1. Girl, you are just getting too too too creative. I love it. It's perfect in the space!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mel, I LOVE it!!! What a great job, love the pattern and your kitchen. It's a great accent in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The stencil is really cool. I love that your project was free. Anyone can make a space look good if you have a big budget. It's much trickier with no budget at all. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! This is too brilliant and I need just the same thing for my kitchen too! So glad you did it and now it's my turn to copy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I want one of those new squishy mats. I have a standard one and my feet kill me after standing there and cleaning dishes and such. I know how the cold floors can be! When we lived in Germany we had heated floors, but they did not work for almost two year...lol Until the repair man came and switched the water flow or something. It was nice once it was warm ;) I thought they were just a crappy heater...lol I like this idea, I swear you think with a different part of your brain....either that or I am just lazy...lmao ;) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great! I have used bamboo place mats for door mats. But I love this repurpose for a long runner!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is so awesome. i have never thought of that.
    so creative.
    thanks for sharing!
    {love} lauryn @ lovenotesbylauryn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea!
    I am a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm new to your blog and love this idea! Found you on Dittle Dattle this evening. This is so my kind-of thinking! I'll be whipping up one as soon as I find a cheap blind on clearance:) Thanks for sharing and keep up updated on how it holds up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea! Love the stenciling.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love, love, love your runner! Thank you so much for linking up at Savvy HomeMade Monday. I hope you will party again tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment love.

Be sure to check to see if you have an email associated with your log in id, otherwise I have no way of responding to your comment.