My kitchen floor is above my garage and it gets quite cold in the winter, especially with porcelain tile. In preparation for the long, cold winter, I knew I needed a mat, but I wanted a long one and it couldn’t cost a small fortune.
I used a window blind made of seagrass or something like that. Perfect size and shape.
Since I already had everything, it cost me nothing but my time :)
I started by removing the wood that was used on the top and bottom, then turned the edges over and taped them. I laid out the pattern for the outside and inside rectangles first.
Next I applied two coats of wipe on poly and that’s that.
I’m not sure how well it will hold up to kitchen messes, but I thought it was worth a shot. I like the way it looks and hopefully it will survive longer than a week :) I’ll keep you posted.
I will be applying latex caulking to the back to see if that will prevent it from moving.