8.15.2011

Another savings bank

A friend asked me to make a savings bank for her daughter after seeing the one I made for my daughter.  I searched every thrift store I could find for a similar shadow box, but to no avail.
This is what I was able to come up with. It’s not a shadow box, but it is perfect as a bank.
DSCN2376
It started out with hideous faux leather, which I promptly removed. Then I removed the latch and hinges at the back.
DSCN2365
Fortunately I was able to use the pieces as a template for the new cover, making it easy for me.
DSCN2366 DSCN2368
I choose this paper as I thought it went well with the latch and hinges. I glued it on and used an emery board to lightly sand the edges. Total cost $2.25.
I didn’t drill a hole for the coins since it has a latch. She can place photos of items she is saving for and the clear window at the front will remind her of all the money she has been able to save (hopefully).
DSCN2378
DSCN2379

P.S. That’s the top of my coffee table that I made over. Love the colour of American walnut.

Sharing at

3 comments:

  1. Isn't that cute!?! I'm sure she's going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your creativity and talent never cease to amaze me!! Fantastic job!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous idea! I never would have thought to remove the leather. I remember that one you did for your daughter too - both so cute! So happy to see you back again at The Creative Spark!
    Jenn :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment love.

Be sure to check to see if you have an email associated with your log in id, otherwise I have no way of responding to your comment.