2.15.2013

Kitchen progress–retrofit a cabinet for a microwave

I have made some progress, albeit nothing earth shattering :)

I have finished adding moulding to the doors and painting almost all of the upper cabinets except for the cupboard above the stove, where the microwave will be installed.

Retrofit a cabinet for microwave

The cupboard above the stove gave me so much grief.  I couldn't get it off the wall even after removing the screws. I figured it was glued to the wall.  I get scared to do things when I don’t know what I’m doing, afraid that I will cause irrecoverable damage. I’m such a chicken.

I borrowed a plunge saw from a friend and was going to try to cut the cupboard down in place. I started by removing the trim on the bottom. Well, low and behold, there were two more screws holding the cupboard in place hiding behind the trim, attached to the other cabinets. Doh!

I was able to get the entire cupboard down and went to town with my jig saw. In no time flat I had it cut down to size and back up on the wall.

Retrofit a cabinet for microwave

Retrofit a cabinet for microwave

The doors were cut down to size, moulding added and rehung to fit the smaller cabinet.


Next up is installing an electric box and outlet in the top of the cabinet. I will then paint the cabinet and get the microwave installed. Until then I will be painting the bottom cabinets this weekend.

I picked out some fabric to make roman blinds for the windows, one above the sink and a small bay window in the eating area.
I ordered it online from Tonic Living on Wednesday and on Friday it was at my door!

www.junkinjunky.blogspot.com

Have a wonderful weekend.

12 comments:

  1. Looks good! That's a LOT of work! Love the fabric <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's looking good and I love the fabric you've got!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have been terrified that I'd pull down all the cabinets, and probably gave up. You are my hero! I love the fabric you picked out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sure do admire you with those power tools:) Your kitchen is remarkable, I love the hardware on them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cabinets look so nice! Great job on the refurb for the microwave.

    I love the fabric too!

    Have a great day.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking good, the way you made space for the microwave by cutting the cupboard is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that is impressive Mel!! I also LOVE that fabric!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great minds think alike. I had my OTR microwave installed this weekend, without a lot of the rejigging you had to endure because there was already an outlet in the upper cabinet. I am thinking roman shade for the window but have been stalking Tonic LIving for weeks....maybe you just inspired me to pull the trigger ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it, Mel! I'm so glad you didn't give up with that stubborn cabinet! That fabric is beautiful, can't wait to see the whole transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it, Mel! I'm so glad you didn't give up with that stubborn cabinet! That fabric is beautiful, can't wait to see the whole transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bully for you Mel! It's coming along so nicely. I love that you were able to cut down your cabinets to put up your microwave. Aren't you glad you didn't have to cut them OUT? I really love the fabric you picked out. The window treatments will look beautiful, I'm sure. Can't wait to see more! Have a wonderful weekend.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow everything is coming along quite nicely you'll be so happy when it's finished. Thanks so much for leaving such a nice comment on my blog I appreciate it :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment love.

Be sure to check to see if you have an email associated with your log in id, otherwise I have no way of responding to your comment.