1.29.2011

Union Jack cushion

close up
I’ve been itching to sew something, but I haven’t had much luck in finding fabric that I like.
So I made my own.  Using my Sure Cuts A Lot software, I traced an image of the Union Jack and cut it out using my Cricut onto freezer paper.
The most difficult part was trying to get the freezer paper centered and flat.
freezer paper
After lots of fiddling, I got it ironed down onto my drop cloth fabric, and then painted it in. I used a dark gray and a metallic silver, although it’s hard to tell.
painted
I sewed it together using the basic envelope pattern.
It started as this, which just wasn’t cutting it any more, so I took the cushion out and quickly tossed the cover aside :)
original
And here it is now
edited

mmm button


I’m joining in on these parties
Funky Junk Interiors Saturday Night Special
Show and Tell Saturday at Be Different act Normal
Along for the ride Saturday is Crafty Day
Saturday Soiree at A Little Lovely
Sunday Showcase at Under The Table and Dreaming

Inspire Me Monday at Singing Three Little Birds

Making Monday Marvellous at C.R.A.F.T.

Visit thecsiproject.com

15 comments:

  1. Super cute. I love the color combination. You are very resourceful, aren't you? Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovin' it! I so want to try one of these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh! you should do a giveaway for one of these and pick me as the winner. i LOVE it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Union Jack flag (although being Englsih, I'm possibly biased!) and this is a fantastic version of it.

    I'm jealous of your Cricut machine!! It's produced a fantastic version of the flag. Go you!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how it turned out,and wish i had a cricut too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely fabulous and I love the colors!

    Megan

    http://1funkywoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great! I have added it to my tumblr.

    -Rene

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your Union Jack pillow! Might just have to copy your idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the tip! I really never knew that. Although I did own my cricut for a year before I actually did a project with it. I had a feeling I wasn't helping her reach her full potential!I'm definitely going to buy the software and try and figure it all out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool! And yes, that's so much more YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Best pillow transformation to date. The rectangular shape lends perfectly to the Union Jack strips, well done for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it!!! Especially the colors you used.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I absolutely adore this...especially the color combo - totally unexpected and perfect. Great job!!! Gotta get me some of that freezer paper...;)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment love.

Be sure to check to see if you have an email associated with your log in id, otherwise I have no way of responding to your comment.