4.25.2010

Hiding computer cables and cords

My computer nook recently had a mini update, but I had no idea what to do about all of those darn cords and cables. 
Before the mini makeover:001
One of the green boxes above was not being used and it dawned on me that I could use it to hide the cords.
First I had to make the opening larger. Not only to get the cords through, but also to provide more ventilation.
002
In went the router, modem and electric cords.
005
After, much better. I also added some trim to the two shelves above.
003
004

I'm linking up to the trash to treasure party at Reinvented and was posted on Ikea Hacker (I love that place, the store and the blog)

An update for you negative nessie's:   This has been in place for over a year and it has not caught fire, over heated or fried my components.  The vent in the back is large as well as the vent in the front, providing adequate cross ventilation.
If you have something negative to say, it's best if you don't hide behind anonymous comments.  Or just go away. This is a drama free zone.

9 comments:

  1. Too clever. I hope it's okay if I steal your idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You forgot the Tahhhh-daaahhh! lol

    Cool idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohmygoodness....so clever!
    Jana

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so neat and tidy. Love the whole makeover!

    -heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although a nice idea, very deceiving before and after.

    You've moved the phone down, and now have its wire hidden by the corkboard. The laptop is no longer on the shelf, so no wires hanging down there. The entire computer system that you had under the shelf isn't even there anymore.

    Yea the box is great to hide the modem and router, but the reason it looks so much tidier is because you got rid of plenty and actually organized the area, not because you modified a green box.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, I realized that came out a bit harsh. You did very nice work and I could only hope my desk would ever be that clean. Sorry for the crankiness :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. faded-shimmer: kind of you to put the soft gloves on, but I do appreciate your pointing out the obvious (which I had missed, actually). It helps me to evaluate whether and how to use this suggestion. And what a good suggestion it is, Junkin Junky!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read about this on Ikea Hackers last year and have just now finally done this at my home workstation. Why I waited this long I have no idea because it worked beautifully and instantly made a real problem area go away. Thanks so much for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Me again...the modem doesn't have to me out and visible to transmit wireless signals?

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment love.

Be sure to check to see if you have an email associated with your log in id, otherwise I have no way of responding to your comment.