3.23.2013

Thumbprint tree guestbook for a birthday

In between working on my kitchen, going to work and all the others tasks I juggle, I am working on planning my mum’s 75th birthday party next weekend.

I’ve long adored the thumbprint wedding guest books and decided to adapt it for a birthday. There is a free template online at One Fab Day that I used as inspiration.There are also instructions on how to modify the names/dates and print it out. Rather than printing it, I wanted it on a canvas. The organic shape lends itself well to those of us with no natural artistic talent :) I added  few ready-to-go thumbprints because some people just don’t feel comfortable leaving theirs.

thumbprint tree at www.junkinjunky.blogspot.com

We are expecting 60-75 people, so it will be a nice full tree once everyone signs. The canvas is 16”x20” and was $5, two green ink pads and a sharpie for a few bucks and this frugal craft was only about $10.  I used my cricut and black vinyl to cut out the lettering; there was no way I was going to free hand it with my shaky paws.

I am cutting the last piece of the counter tops today. There have been a few hiccups in the install on the sink side of the kitchen because the new counter tops are a lot thicker than the old ones. The drain pipes are lower now and the faucet downpipe just barely fits the thickness of the new counter, yikes. Of course I didn’t even consider this when I bought these counters. There’s always something :)

I hope you are having a great weekend.

Sharing at:

PhotobucketChic on a Shoestring Decorating

8 comments:

  1. i love this! what a great memory. it would be super sweet for a baby shower, too, and then be art in the nursery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen a thumbprint tree. What a great idea for a special birthday!

    Good luck with the counters!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's true, there always is something unexpected with renovations. I'm glad it didn't stop you completely. The thumbprint canvas is really special. What a nice keepsake for the birthday recipient!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a perfect gift! I need to get me a cricut, it makes everything look so nice! Good luck with those pipes and counters, you're right, there is always something!

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a great idea, epecially for a birthday. They will love it, I'm sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The fingerprint tree is a cool idea!

    I have to tell you that your kitchen is looking fabulous and I can't wait to see it finished! I think the subway tile will be great, but I feel kind of the same about tile. I recently changed out my chalkboard backsplash for beadboard wallpaper. I like being able to change it. But if you're going to choose tile, subway tile is a great way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea and a lovely gift - I'm sure it will be a big hit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you freehand that Mel? I'm so impressed! What a great idea, and a keepsake your mum is sure to treasure. Did you take a picture of it after everyone had added their thumbprints? I'd love to see it. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your kitchen. Kudos to you for keeping it going and not stalling out, even with the unexpected popping up! Hope you're having a great weekend!

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment love.

Be sure to check to see if you have an email associated with your log in id, otherwise I have no way of responding to your comment.