In my dreams I have enough money to rip out my ghastly kitchen and put in a new and modern kitchen. In my dreams :) My bank account laughed at me when I suggested we should make this my goal for 2013. So instead I am going to set myself a budget, a small budget, and update my kitchen cosmetically.
The cheap way to update a kitchen is to replace the doors/drawers. Well, even that is not in my budget. I am going to trim out my existing cabinets with some mdf moulding, repaint them and live with what I have. I stopped by HD on my way home from work today and picked up a piece of pre-primed mdf, cut it and clamped it to one of my doors. I think it will work.
The reason I am going with a thinner moulding (it measures 1.5” x 5/8”) is because my cabinets are all different sizes. Some of them are very narrow and thick moulding would take up almost the entire door. You will see what I mean in the attached picture.
So here are my plans and I hope to have everything done by my birthday in August, and I will be doing all of the work by myself.
* Add moulding to doors and repaint all cupboards. I will be updating my bifold doors on my pantry using bead board and try to get them to match. Install new pulls.
* cut down cupboard above stove and put in an over the range microwave in stainless steel to match the existing stove.
* replace laminate countertops with butcher block from Ikea
* remove the bead board wall paper and replace it with white subway tile
* replace sink, not sure how I am going yet, hopefully an under mount. The faucet has already been replaced.
* remove broken ceramic tiled floor. This is a heartbreaker since I only had it installed 2 years ago. My kitchen sits over my garage and it turns out the joists in the kitchen move which caused the tiles to break all over the place. I should have known better because the tile that was here when I moved in did the same thing.
* install Allure vinyl plank flooring
* remove the crown moulding; I did not do a good job on it. I will be repainting so I’m going to tint the ceiling paint with a slight blue and bring it down over the bulkhead to the tops of the cabinets.
* install a new bank of drawers when I replace the flooring. My cabinet is falling apart, no better time to replace then when replacing the flooring.
* install new lighting. I will be getting another ceiling fan in the eat in area because they work well. The lighting over the cabinet area will be replaced.
* get a new to me stainless steel fridge.
* make a panel cover out of bead board for my dishwasher.
Are you exhausted? I am and I haven’t even started yet. *jokes*
I plan to share every step of the way with all of you. Maybe you can glean some new ideas for your own kitchen.