My sister asked me to make her a storage box out of a cutlery box, as I did for myself. Since it was a small project, I thought it was the perfect time to try making chalk paint. I am going to share how I did it, and what my thoughts are on the whole hoopla :)
I started with a cutlery box that I bought at the Goodwill on 50% off day, so it was $4.04. There was a small crack at the front, but nothing that some wood filler couldn’t fix.
I used some grey paint that I had on hand and followed the instructions posted on Alchemy Fine Living. I had read of other tutorials to make your own chalk paint that used plaster of paris, and I tried it but it was a miserable failure. These instructions said to use baking soda! Huh.
I mixed 1/3 c. baking soda to 2/3 c. paint. mixing BM silver fox with a little bit of cottage white. So basically a 1:3 ratio, but don’t quote me on that, as math is not my strong suite. The final paint colour was almost white and I wonder if the baking soda was responsible for turning the grey, white?
I mixed it really well, and it didn’t take much effort to make it smooth. This stuff is thick! I held my breath and went for it, what did I have to loose?
This is the first coat. It went on pretty grainy, but I knew that it would be sanded back. One issue that I found was that if you are not careful, the edges where your brush stops can get pretty built up with paint. I sanded it back once it dried pretty ferociously, and there are still some areas with build up. It’s probably because it’s so thick, added to that the fact that I’m a pretty lousy painter :)
This is after two coats, then some distressing. It did sand back pretty smooth. I then used two darker shades of grey for the stripes and the laurel.
I replaced the knobs with something a little more feminine, although they are a little on the big side for this piece.
Overall, I liked the chalk paint, but with the amount of sanding I had to do, I could have just as easily primed and painted this small piece with regular paint. I can see its appeal if you are working on a large piece of furniture, as you will avoid the pre-sanding and priming.
The one I made for myself can be found here
I’m sharing at